Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Koigi, the "multi-purpose" artist of Malindi.


We have met ...surely one of the best artists that Kenya counts: KOIGI.
His work is so rich, he just loves to use any type of material that crosses his path. He is totally devoted to Art in all its shapes: painting, fine art, movie shooting, sculpture, interior design , landscaping ...he is simply inspired by Life.
Today he stays in Malindi (North-Eastern Kenya) and is very busy! A 24 hours day is not enough for him!

Here is an interview that will let you know more about him:
-Kezania: "What is your full name and where do you come from?
-Koigi: My name is Koigi Samuel Njuki, and I come from the Central Province of Kenya, Kirinyaya district (Nyaru village) and I am 27.
-Kezania: Since when do you consider yourself as an artist?
-Koigi: Since childhood...around 8 years old..like performing in shows.
-Kezania: Have you always been working in Kenya?
-Koigi: No, also in Uganda, Ethiopia and Tanzania.
-Kezania: What kind of art do you create?
-Koigi: I create Primitive Art using mix media, brush, and also sculptures.
-Kezania: What are your inspirations?
-Koigi: Mostly the nature. My first real inspiration came from a gallery in Nairobi.
-Kezania: Why do you choose to work with all that comes on your way?
-Koigi: Because God has put all kinds of things on Earth. As an artist , I try to collect everything that is left on side to create something.
-Kezania: Which message do you want to bring in your creations?
-Koigi: I try to make people open their eyes about what is surrounding them, and make the world a better place to live in.
-Kezania: What does Africa mean to you?
-Koigi: For me Africa is the Mother of the world, the world is reflected from Africa.
-Kezania: Are you helping other young artists? or causes?
-Koigi: Yes, I am trying to be their role model, naturing their inspirations. I am also a member of the "Rotoract Club". Their main objective is to help the disabled and less privileged people.
-Kezania: What do you do on your free time?
-Koigi: I go to the beach with my family and friends with a few beers...the simple life. And help the community as much as I can."

A collection of African maps: "WE ARE AFRICA", all dressed differently is now available on Kezania. Come and get breathtaken with Koigi's Art!

No comments:

Post a Comment